Friday, May 4, 2012

Full screen mode in Windows 7

I am no expert, but I have an experience about forcing your Windows 7 to display a full screen mode particularly on DOS programs. Windows thrust of forcing the world to obey it is always unacceptable. Time will come when Windows will see that the computer world is now slowly going against its submit-to-Windows-whims philosophy.

I love writing programs through using a DOS editor for long years. I have no problem with Windows XP; but Windows 7 is getting more unfriendly. I went to the Web and someone said that I needed to change the DISPLAY ADAPTER PROPERTIES. In short, all this trouble is adapter-related. I followed the instructions. He wrote that I have to "right click" at desktop and to PERSONALIZE -> DISPLAY -> ADVANCED SETTINGS -> ADAPTER -> PROPERTIES -> DISPLAY ADAPTER PROPERTIES -> BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE, then click on LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVICE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER and select: STANDARD VGA GRAPHICS ADAPTER. Bingo! It worked.

But big problem. When I reinstalled my Windows 7, and have all these so-called updates in place, I could no longer find the "LET ME PICK UP FROM A LIST..." and no more SELECT STANDARD VGA GRAPICHS ADAPTER. Perhaps, such an option was no longer allowed in the newest updates.

Since my theory of Windows 7 not allowing full screen mode is adapter-related, I went directly to DEVICE MANAGER,  and disabled that very-controlling adapter there to see what would then happen. It worked.

Having no expertise, I could only say that doing so crippled consequently the good purpose (if it is really invented for the good - better ask Bill Gates!) for which the modern adapter was developed. To me, I have freed myself from my utter dislike with Windows 7 and that is the intentional crippling of full screen mode.

Good news: to disable your Windows 7 modern adapter is as easy as to enable it should your games or other programs be affected in the process. To do it, just right click at the COMPUTER icon on your desktop, then click DEVICE MANAGER, then look for DISPLAY ADAPTER. Depending on the device installed in your system, but in mine, I found under DISPLAY ADAPTER, "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series". Double clicking it will lead you to a window and a prompt (click it!): DISABLE DEVICE.

No comments:

Post a Comment